Data Science Operations Analyst
Contract typePermanent Full Time
Fantastic opportunity to build your career in Underwriting, reporting into the Manager of Analytical Operations. As part of the great talent that makes up our wider Underwriting department, you would join a small team charged with supporting the commercial and actuarial teams with account and performance analysis that will ultimately help inform key business decisions.
Working in conjunction with analysts and business owners you’ll be developing, maintaining and improving advanced models, and creating tools and reports for a variety of business functions.
We offer 1-2 days working from home, a test and learn culture, and, a transparent working environment that is nonhierarchical and puts colleagues first.
As a Data Science Operations Analyst, you’ll be part of a team providing project support to colleagues across the Actuarial and Data Science teams within the Underwriting department. You will quickly gain an understanding of a wide variety of cutting-edge analytical technologies and processes used by our actuarial and data science teams including machine learning and artificial intelligence. You will build cross-functional partnerships with colleagues and teams making critical business decisions impacting the growth and profitability of the company. Through your role, you will establish a large network of stakeholders and contacts with whom you will help deliver business impact.
Your remit will include the following;
- Manage monthly and quarterly data science model execution as a critical part of the Underwriting team, supporting Actuarial and Data Science professionals.
- Learn and use actuarial rate making software tools (EMBLEM and RADAR) to analyse the company’s in-market rate sufficiency.
- Prepare management information reports using MS Office tools – principally Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Learn and use Hadoop and SQL for the operational management of our big data environment
- Develop and manage data frameworks to implement strong data governance, including data quality testing, performance, stability, reliability and compliance reviews.
- Use our data science programming environments (R and Python) to execute and refine advanced machine learning models
- Design operational measures to capture and control the efficiency of projects using a variety of MS Office tools
- Drive continuous improvement in operational processes by conducting stakeholder reviews and identifying and capitalising on opportunities for innovation
- Support departmental activity related to GDPR activities
- Complete training as mandated by the company and regulated by the FCA
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, agile, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've significantly grown our customer base over the last three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues
It's our attitude and the way we run our business that makes us different. We focus on getting it right for our colleagues, customers, company and community. It's a dynamic, flexible, fun and constantly changing environment. You'll enjoy the scope to make a real difference for our customers, influence our company, benefit the communities we work in and have some fun along the way.
- Minimum 2:1 degree in business, mathematical or scientific field
- Highly numerate
- Very good business acumen
- Ability to research and master new tools and methods
- Knowledge of any database or data science tools such as Hadoop, R, Studio, Shiny, Python
- Prior work experience useful but not essential
- Programming experience
- Work or project experience in a financial services sector, ideally insurance
- Coursework portfolio or experience using probability or statistics
- As a growing business, your role can really help make an impact on both the development and delivery of this function – it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is an absolute must.
- Natural problem solver who communicates effectively to all stakeholders.
- This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – candidates should be comfortable working within that setting and demonstrate a proactive working style.
- Great attention to detail – systematic approach to managing your workload.
- Embraces opportunities to develop and learn – shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
Benefits for you
Please find some of the great benefits we offer here at Hastings Direct;
- Competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-2 day working from home
- 25 days holiday & bank holidays
- Life assurance
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays, dental, health cash plan
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.