Junior Data Engineer
Contract typePermanent Full Time
This is a brand new position sitting in our underwriting department and reporting into the Data Engineering Manager.
As a Data Engineer you’ll be part of a team providing data infrastructure and project support to colleagues across Underwriting. You’ll need to quickly gain a deep understanding of internal and external data sources and take on responsibility for delivery of reliable, robust and timely data products.
This role can be based in our London or Bexhill office, Bexhill candidates can expect to be based from home 2-3 days a week, London candidates can expect initial weekly travel to our Bexhill office, which will lessen but still be a regular requirement ad hoc. London based candidates can expect to be home based 1-2 days a week.
Working in conjunction with data scientists, analysts, actuaries and other colleagues you’ll be developing, maintaining and improving both existing and new processes for data ingestion, transformation and extraction that support a variety of business functions. Your level of expertise and experience mean you’re comfortable seeing the broader picture and taking the lead on projects.
Your remit will include the following;
- Develop, document and maintain robust processes that transform and clean data for input into a variety of live systems and analytical workflows
- Liaise with colleagues across the business to elaborate requirements for new data products and translate these into technical plans
- Maintain process quality and robustness through coding best practice, including version control, documentation and peer review
- Set up automated data pipelines to deliver regular extracts and reports with minimal user intervention
- Investigate and elaborate data issues to help drive continuous improvement in data quality
- Migrate legacy processes to new data platforms
- Investigate and evaluate new tools and techniques to support data processing and analytics
- Represent the team and influence the direction of key company projects in cross-functional working groups
- Complete training as mandated by the company and regulated by the FCA
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, agile, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've doubled our customer base in just three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues.
It's our attitude and the way we run our business that makes us different. We focus on getting it right for our colleagues, customers, company and community. It's a dynamic, flexible, fun and constantly changing environment. You'll enjoy the scope to make a real difference for our customers, influence our company, benefit the communities we work in and have some fun along the way.
- Minimum 2:1 in a relevant technical degree
- A good understanding of database architecture and querying using SQL, with a minimum 3 years post-university experience
- A sound understanding of data transformation and cleaning
- Minimum 3 years’ programming experience using any language such as Python, Scala, C# etc.
- An understanding of machine learning and statistical modelling techniques
- Enthusiasm for innovation with a proven track record of researching and identifying optimum tools and methods for solving complex data problems
- Experience working with Hadoop, including HiveQL and Spark
- Knowledge of NoSQL, e.g. Graph databases
- Experience using R for data manipulation and modelling
- Experience in financial services, preferably insurance
As a growing department, your role can really help make an impact on both the development and delivery of this function – it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is an absolute must.
- Natural problem solver who communicates effectively to all internal partners.
- This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – candidates should be comfortable working within that setting.
- Great attention to detail – systematic approach to managing your workload.
- Embraces opportunities to develop and learn – shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
Benefits for you
Please find some of the great benefits we offer here at Hastings Direct;
- Competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bonus earning potential
- 25 days holiday
- Life assurance
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
- A friendly, dynamic and flexible environment with a test-and-learn culture
- Structured career path that rewards achievements and solid performance
- Broad exposure to senior management and ability to contribute to real change
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.