Pricing Data Leader
Contract typePermanent Full Time
Hastings is a leading company within the UK general insurance market, with a passion for Data and Analytics fuelling our Pricing capability.
Due to the growth of our business, we are looking for a hands-on Pricing Data Leader to take ownership of our data & business intelligence estate, and evolve it to meet the ever increasing demand from our analysts, data scientists and other stakeholders from across the business.
A rare and exciting opportunity for someone with strong data skills & core management capability to join a high performing team within our most critical business areas. You will get to work with a big data cluster, gain experience in managing large amounts of information, and get to collaborate with some of the sharpest minds in the industry.
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've doubled our customer base in just three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues.
It's our attitude and the way we run our business that makes us different. We focus on getting it right for our colleagues, customers, company and community. It's a dynamic, flexible, fun and constantly changing environment. You'll enjoy the scope to influence our company, benefit the communities we work in and have some fun along the way.
Data and Analytics is the bedrock of our business, and underpins Hastings’ industry-leading pricing and trading activities.
The location is flexible, either based at our city office in Cannon Street, or our Bexhill Group Head office down by the sea. Either way, flexible home working is an option and regular travel between offices is required.
Your teams remit will include the following:
- Taking ownership of our data assets, and working with key stakeholders (IT & Pricing) to ensure these assets are highly accurate, optimised for performance and continue to evolve and expand to meet the needs of the analytical community
- Lead the development of our BI capability, providing the business with insightful and reliable information to accelerate decision making and support trading activity
- Leverage automation tools to streamline our data processing pipelines, and manage ingestion of new data assets from external sources
- Troubleshoot emerging data and operational problems, and be a source of knowledge for end-users on the most appropriate way using data for their purposes
- Ensuring your team and the wider analytical community adheres to the best compliance and governance standards regarding use of our data
- Degree qualified, preferably in a technical subject (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering)
- Strong SQL knowledge and hands-on experience of working with big and messy real world data sources within a relational database context
- Familiarity with automation tools and scripting languages (R, Python or other)
- Experience in leading junior SQL developers and analysts as a line manager or project lead – our team is our most valuable asset and as a leader it’s up to you to make sure they thrive
- A track record of understanding business problems and ability to manage multiple projects that rely on support from a range of stakeholders
- Experience in working cross-functionally with data engineers, pricing analysts, data scientists or software engineers
- Experience re-purposing and optimising data warehouse models to higher or lower levels for specific use cases
- Experience in the Insurance and/or Ecommerce sector, or another a regulated industry
- Experience in setting up Data Visualisation software tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, or others
- Strong data wrangling skills able to create complex but efficient ETL processes with tools like SQL, Hive, Hadoop, SSIS or others.
- An understanding of what's "under the hood" of different modelling and machine learning methods and data technologies.
- Familiar with version control software technology such as Git
- Understanding of data models, and agile methodologies.
As a growing business this role is critical to our delivery and success, it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is a key. Key attributes:
- Natural problem solver and decision maker, who communicates effectively to all partners
- Great attention to detail – systematic approach to managing your workload
- Inquisitive mind and interest in “what makes things tick”
- Really loves data – it is our fuel, and so it has to be yours
- High level of self-awareness and drive, and motivation to grow and develop
This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – you should be comfortable working within that setting and demonstrate an enthusiastic working style
Please see some of the great benefits we offer
- Highly competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – email@example.com
- Flexible working opportunities working 1-2 days a week from home
- Up to 10% bonus earning potential
- £5k Car Allowance
- 27 days holiday
- Life assurance
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.
78 Cannon Street