Contract typePermanent Full Time
Are you someone who is passionate about data analytics? Do you get a buzz out learning about new business concepts & techniques, and applying them to drive the business forward? Would you like to showcase your talents to senior stakeholders in a FTSE250 company?
A unique opportunity has arisen within the Underwriting Department for a Segment/Pricing Manager. This role combines sophisticated data analytics, commercial segment management and cross-functional collaboration to drive practical, action orientated analysis that make a real difference to business performance
If this is the type of role you would thrive in then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
This role can be based in either London or Bexhill offices, but if London based please expect regular travel to Bexhill.
Within Hastings, Segmentation Team focuses on managing underwriting performance of sub-segments within the Motor and Home accounts, and is responsible for delivering substantial business value through on-going improvements to our risk price models, product rules and acceptance criteria. You will either play a role of an individual contributor, or lead a small team of segment analysts in order to:
- Become an authority on segmented risk pricing, and develop economic & mathematical models to support the framework within which the team operates
- Make use of your underwriting judgement to uncover intricate relationships into risk behaviour, and develop hypotheses that explain their origin
- Conduct analyses that identify opportunities within our pricing logic, and develop proposals that directly affect our customers price, product or footprint
- Drive on-going R&D and innovation through application of cutting edge analytical techniques that improve our pricing sophistication
- Source and evaluate new internal and external data sources, and assess their predictiveness in the insurance industry
- Drive cross-departmental initiatives that affect all aspects of the customer’s life cycle, and collaborate with other functions on high profile projects that require rapid pace and lateral thinking
- Direct industry experience or strong analytical background in Financial Services/TelCo/FMCG/Consulting
- Strong academic background with 2:1 (or Masters/PhD) degree in STEM/Business/Economics
- Ability to work as part of a team in an environment that demands excellence, reliability, accuracy and working towards challenging deadlines
- Highly numerate and IT literate, with an ability and desire to learn new software and analytical techniques quickly
- Good communication skills, with an effective influencing style
- Experience in modelling, usage of statistical packages (e.g. R/Stata/SAS), programming skills and industry or actuarial knowledge
- Solid track record in your current role, with a background in delivering actionable analytics or commercial insights that generate value
- Good understanding of the value chain in the insurance industry
- As a growing department, your role can really help make an impact on both the development and delivery of this function – it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is a necessity.
- Natural problem solver who communicates effectively to all internal partners
- This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – applicants should be comfortable working within that setting.
- Great attention to detail – systematic approach to being responsible for your workload.
- Embraces opportunities to develop and learn – shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, agile, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've significantly grown our customer base over the last three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues
Benefits for you
Please find some of the great benefits we offer here at Hastings Direct;
- Competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – email@example.com
- 1-2 days working from home
- Car allowance of £5,000
- Up to 10% bonus earning potential
- 27 days holiday
- Life assurance
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
- A friendly, dynamic and flexible environment with a test-and-learn culture
- Structured career path that rewards achievements and solid performance
- Broad exposure to senior management and ability to contribute to real change
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.