Senior Large Loss Handler (Bexhill or London)
Contract typePermanent Full Time
Fantastic new opportunity within our Large & Complex Loss Claims unit for a skilled Senior Large Loss Handler who is either fully or nearly ACII qualified. An insurance background is essential. This role reports into the Head of Complex Claims and would suit an experienced Large Loss Handler, Complex Claims Handler, or Senior Claims Specialist looking for a new challenge in a fast paced, dynamic business in either our Bexhill or London office.
The Large & Complex Loss team is responsible for processing new and existing claims, Third Party personal injury, litigation and other technical claims matters, through negotiation with all interested parties in order to achieve settlement. Caseload will include those of utmost severity, including brain and spinal injury claims worth in excess of £1 million.
This role will be part of the senior Large Loss team, and so would have the ability to influence and lead technical strategies, drive indemnity saving initiatives and more data led strategies, and be the Senior claims stakeholder for our executive committee.
Your remit will include the following:
- Responsible for own caseload of high value large & catastrophic personal injury claims, working under own authority in accordance with set referral authority and criteria – fast track and multi track cases. Cases in excess of authority under referral to the Head of Technical Claims. Caseload will include potential periodical payment
- Communicating via telephone (incoming and outbound calls) and written correspondence with policyholder, keeping them updated of all material developments, witnesses, Insurers, repairers, solicitors, engineers, third party representatives, medical experts, forensic accountants, rehabilitation providers, case managers, overseas handling agents, investigators, medical agencies, costs draughtsmen, CRU, Counsel, police authorities and third parties in order to bring about resolution of claims
- Point of Contact for Advantage Insurance Company in relation to individual claims queries along with presentation of claims at Large Loss Committee meetings. To provide timely notification of reserve movements to Advantage Insurance Company via Large Loss Advices and periodic updates
- To act as a referral point and mentor for Claims Advisors, providing training where appropriate.
- Interface with relevant claims units and departments within the company.
- Authorising cheques within authority limit and ensuring appropriate reserves are held on IS2000 at all times
- To identify, through use of specific identification criteria, and refer to the Specialist Claims Unit in which fraud is suspected
- Ensure that you (and any direct reports) are meeting customers’ fair and reasonable expectations and provide fair outcomes. Question and challenge peers and managers where processes and procedures do not meet these expectations and any activity that does not place customers’ interests at the heart of how we do business.
- Ensure completion of all training as mandated by the company and regulated by the FCA
- Ensure that direct reports and self, achieve and demonstrate levels of competence required to fulfil job requirements
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, agile, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've significantly grown our customer base over the last three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues
It's our attitude and the way we run our business that makes us different. We focus on getting it right for our colleagues, customers, company and community. It's a dynamic, flexible, fun and constantly changing environment. You'll enjoy the scope to make a real difference for our customers, influence our company, benefit the communities we work in and have some fun along the way.
· Sound knowledge of the CPR, Pre Action Protocols and Litigation procedures
· Telephone based work experience desirable, along with excellent problems solving skills coupled with a proactive approach to work.
· Basic IT and inputting skills, essential for data entry on to IS2000
· Microsoft Excel, Word and Access desirable
· Significant experience working within the insurance industry (motor) in a claims handling role
· Significant experience in handling personal injury claims (motor), with knowledge and experience in handling Multi Track claims with an
· Substantial knowledge and experience of settling claims in excess of £250,000.
· Working Knowledge of Periodical Payment Orders
Benefits for you
· Competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – email@example.com
· Car allowance
· Flexible working opportunities working 1-2 days a week from home
· Up to 10% bonus earning potential
· 25 days holiday
· Life assurance
· Competitive pension
· Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays
· Discounted Hastings Direct products
· Discounted rail travel
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.
78 Cannon Street