Contract typePermanent Full Time
Reporting to the Technical Delivery Manager, a Systems Engineer is a core position working on the organisations’ strategic infrastructure projects and systems. They will assist the Senior System Engineers with the development and continuous evolution of the corporate infrastructure platforms from design to implementation. The focal area of responsibility is providing 3rd line technical support to the enterprise infrastructure systems and services (e.g. Guidewire) which are critical to the IT strategy.
As part of the Technical Delivery team, a Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting the Hastings IT infrastructure services across all systems, storage and virtualisation environments, whether these are on-premise, cloud or hybrid configurations. Strong knowledge of infrastructure design, operations and management supported by system engineering best-practices is required to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency of the investment in the organisations’ infrastructure, which includes but is not limited to Microsoft Windows Server, Citrix, Nutanix and VMware platforms.
This role is based in our Bexhill head office, down by the sea on the South Coast.
About the role
- To maintain a responsive, robust server, networking (WAN and LAN), messaging and storage infrastructure alongside supporting Application and Development teams
- Apply incident and problem resolution, as defined by service and operating level agreements (where applicable) governed by an ITIL-based approach.
- To diagnose and resolve third level technical issues relating to the network and security infrastructure.
- To ensure the availability and security of the company network due to adequate security systems and pro-active monitoring.
- To deal with technology suppliers in regards to technical consultancy, problem resolution, deliveries of equipment, returns / repairs of equipment and contractual obligations.
- To undertake assigned projects and see such projects through to completion in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner.
- To work closely with stakeholders to ensure that delivered systems are both technically sustainable and meet the business need.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act and at all times.
- Significant experience of SME hands-on knowledge in system engineering, design and 3rd line support and virtualisation technologies including VMware Enterprise platform.
- Significant experience in design, implementation and support of enterprise data centres
- Expert hands-on experience of MS Exchange 2007 and above including configuration, implementation, optimisation and administration including systems management and capacity planning
- Solid experience of managed infrastructure services and cloud based technologies, including integrating cloud computing models e.g. IaaS, PaaS and SaaS to create hybrid architecture
- Proven expert knowledge of Microsoft AD, IIS, DNS, ADFS, LDAP, PKI infrastructures and security best practices
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Proven track record of working within a regulated environment
What will you get in return?
Working with Hastings Direct, means you can bring “yourself” to work and be a part of our growth and success. Working alongside our experienced IT Leadership team in a vibrant, fun and friendly environment!
In return you will receive a competitive starting salary, a £5K car allowance, an end of year bonus potential (up to 10% of salary), 27 days holiday + bank holidays alongside a great company pension scheme.
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.