Telematics Commercial Analyst
Contract typePermanent Full Time
Are you commercially and analytically minded and looking to play a fundamental role in an exciting and evolving product?
The Telematics team (based in our Bexhill HQ) is a forward-thinking team looking to revolutionize and shape the way we look at insurance in the future. This exciting new role would place you in the heart of the commercial and pricing team where you can influence and drive strategic initiatives central to achieving our group objectives.
A STEM degree and experience is advantageous but, if you have strong baseline skills in software such as Excel and a keen desire to learn, the supportive Telematics team will invest in your development. You will learn from the experts and be able to carve out your career in a role that will give you exposure to some key senior partners and departments crucial to the success of our business.
What is Telematics?
Telematics insurance is different to other types of insurance because it utilises existing and new technologies to enable a more personalised approach to pricing. This means that we can focus on pricing and treating customers based on their individual merit rather than the conventional approach of categorising customers solely based on generalisations. Find out more about our product on our Hastings Direct website.
The purpose of this role is to act as the key point of contact for the Telematics team to complete analysis in a variety of areas to inform both commercial and customer outcomes using key analysis.
Your remit will include the following;
· Develop and manage all manner of trading MI (inc. market) producing key reports for senior stakeholders with a view to identifying key trends, spotting trading anomalies and working with the commercial manager to take action to support performance
· Working in conjunction with our retail pricing teams to develop models that maximises our ability to price against the market to support our competitiveness as well as enhancing value
· Creating new customer insights working with “big data” to make enhancements to the customer journey and protect / grow commercial interests
· Conduct ad hoc analysis, creating & testing various hypotheses.
· Developing & delivering new insight, including the integration of new data, new analytical techniques and new ways of working
· Optimising our telematics driving behaviour score and assessment of poor driving to rapidly differentiate good and bad drivers and optimise processes for minimising exposure to the worst drivers whilst retaining the best drivers
· Collaboration with the wider business (in particular with underwriting) including constant assessment of how telematics data can be used to support the growth of all products
Hastings Direct is a fast growing, agile, digitally focused general insurance provider of products and services to over 2.7 million customers in the UK. We've significantly grown our customer base over the last three years and we now employ over 3,400 colleagues
It's our attitude and the way we run our business that makes us different. We focus on getting it right for our colleagues, customers, company and community. It's a dynamic, flexible, fun and constantly changing environment. You'll enjoy the scope to make a real difference for our customers, influence our company, benefit the communities we work in and have some fun along the way.
- Strong quantitative & analytical skills – evidence of which could be based on experience or during your studies
- Educated to A level in a numerical field (minimum)
- A passion for working with numerical/statistical data
- Advanced skills in the use of MS office applications in particular Excel, knowledge v look ups, pivots and SUMIFS preferred
- Good communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written)
- Pro-active approach to driving change – you love to find ways to optimise your performance and encourage those around you
- Confidence to express opinions and challenge others
- You will use analytical, statistical & data manipulation packages (e.g. SQL, R, Python etc.) but if you have experience with any other packages and languages please do make it clear on your application.
- Educated to degree level in a numerical field
- Proven research skills, including ability to formulate hypotheses and identify ways to prove or disprove these with targeted tests
- Good understanding of commercial environments
- Experience delivering commercial targets
- As a growing business, your role can really help make an impact on both the development and delivery of this function – it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is an absolute must.
- Natural problem solver who communicates effectively to all stakeholders.
- This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – candidates should be comfortable working within that setting and demonstrate a proactive working style.
- Great attention to detail – systematic approach to managing your workload.
- Embraces opportunities to develop and learn – shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
Benefits for you
Please find some of the great benefits we offer here at Hastings Direct;
- Competitive basic salary which we will share with you upon shortlisting, but do feel free to email the Recruitment team for more details in advance of your application – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flexible working opportunities working 1-2 days a week from home
- Up to 5% bonus earning potential
- 25 days holiday
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays, opt in dental and healthcare cash plans
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
- A test and learn culture
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.